VAT Rule 2015-008 Public Entertainment
Feb 17, 2015 - 8:40:10 PM
Ministry Of Finance
VAT RULE 2015-008 Public Entertainment
This Rule is made under section 17 of the Value Added Act, 2014.
All legislative references are to the Value Added Tax Act, 2014 and/or the Value Added Tax Regulations 2014, unless otherwise stated.
C. This Rule applies in respect of:
Value Added Tax Act, 2014 Sections 2, 19 & 22
D. Application of Rule
This Rule is for the purpose of determining whether a public entertainment activity will be subject to VAT and to define who qualifies as a Promoter of Public Entertainment.
This Rule applies to persons who provide entertainment occasionally and does not carry out such activities on a daily or weekly or continuously.
The purpose of this Rule is to provide guidance on registration of public entertainment activity for VAT and is to be used when a taxpayer requests permission to host a public entertainment activity as defined by the VAT Act
For the purpose of this Rule
• A promoter includes non-profit organizations, religious organizations, and Charites.
• Public Entertainment includes sporting events, cultural events, dinner parties and balls.
E. Comptroller’s Rule
1. Every taxpayer wishing to conduct a public entertainment activity must apply to the VAT Comptroller for registration.
2. Persons who engage in public entertainment activities on a regular and continuous basis shall apply for VAT registration under the rules governing VAT Registration.
a. Such persons shall be registered once and do not have to notify the Comptroller each time an event is being held
b. Such persons will file a VAT Return regularly and continuously in accordance with Section 47(1) of the Act.
3. Persons who engage in public entertainment activities as a one-off and sporadic venture shall apply for registration before conducting the activity and if approved shall be registered once..
a. Such persons shall register each event with the VAT Department at least 48 hours before the event is advertised
4. In the case of an occasional Promoter of Public Entertainment, where relevant, the promoter should:
b. Such persons shall submit a Notification of a Public Entertainment Activity to register each activity and receive approval before it is held
c. Such persons shall file a VAT Return 5 calendar days following the completion of the activity
i) Indicate the number of tickets printed and capacity of the venue for the event.
5. Security must be paid prior to the conduct of the public entertainment activity, as prescribed
ii) Specify the price and classification of tickets available (i.e. VIP, General Admission,
iii) Specify the number of promotional tickets to be issued for no consideration or less consideration than the market value.
iv) Supply information of past revenue, if any, generated by the promoter from similar previous public entertainment events.
v) Provide an estimate on expected revenue from the public event.
in the VAT Rule – 2015-006 – Requirement for Security.
F. The period for which this Rule applies
This Rule shall apply for the period beginning on January 1st, 2015 until it is withdrawn or replaced.
Download the PDF HERE
© Copyright 2015 by thebahamasweekly.com -