||Last Updated: Mar 25, 2018 - 4:42:12 AM
As the week comes to a close, the Bahamian people must be suffering from flashbacks to 2012 of the first year in governance of the PLP and the failed Gambling Referendum. At that time, the Prime Minister assured that there was “NO HORSE IN THE RACE” from his administration, but in the end, scores of Bahamians believed otherwise.
In similar fashion, The Oban revelations have caught the Minnis Administration in a web of inaccuracies, half truths, misstatements and fraud. The most unsettling part is that the revelations are still coming.
Here is what we do know:-
1. This administration has endorsed a project replete with unsavory characters.
2. The Heads of Agreement has purportedly been signed on THREE DIFFERENT OCCASSIONS.
3. OBAN HAS NO HISTORY in the oil refining business.
4. Nearly 700 acres of Crown Land has been “GIVEN AWAY” –AGAIN
5. OBAN WILL NOT PAY TAXES which other businesses MUST pay.
6. The Government does not have a completed Environmental report on the impact to this project to the Bahamas (which affects the people and our tourism industry) and has signed an agreement where the Government has relinquished its rights to terminate this Heads of Agreement even on the outcome of negative environmental grounds.
Once again, scores of Bahamians throughout the length and breadth of the Bahamas are asking themselves the same question they did in 2012. Does someone in this administration have a horse in the race?
The DNA calls for the IMMEDIATE review and if necessary CANCELLATION of this Oban fiasco. We call for a PAUSE of all activity until we can ascertain the identity of the parties to the deal and we also demand a review of the most insane parts of a deal which offers NO PROTECTION for the delicate environment.
DNA Interim Leader
© Copyright 2018 by thebahamasweekly.com
Top of Page