Department of Marine Resources: Opening of The Crawfish Season
Aug 3, 2021 - 9:05:40 AM
The Department of Marine Resources takes this opportunity to advise the general public that the crawﬁsh season opens on Sunday, 1st August, 2021.
The public is reminded regarding the following:-
1. the legal measurement for whole crawﬁsh is a carapace (jacket) length of 3 ¼
inches and when the tail is separated, a tail length of 5 ½ inches;
2. those persons wishing to harvest crawﬁsh are required to have a crawﬁsh
measuring gauge in their possession at all times;
3. possession of dishwashing liquid, bleach or other noxious substance aboard any vessel while ﬁshing is unlawful without ﬁrst obtaining a permit authorizing such possession;
4. a permit is required for the use of the air compressor or crawﬁsh traps to aid in ﬁshing;
The public is also reminded that several portions of the Fisheries Act 2020 came into force on Tuesday, 22nd June, 2021. Amongst those portions of the mentioned legislation that are enforceable are:
1. The requirement that all vessels being 15 ft. or larger in length that are engaged in commercial ﬁshing to be licenced by the Department of Marine Resources to be so engaged. Application forms may be obtained at any of the department’s oﬃces in New Providence and the Family Islands. Applicants should ensure that their vessels have been licenced by the Port Department, and that they possess a valid Business Licence; and
2. The prohibition of foreign employment in any form aboard a licenced commercial ﬁshing vessel.
The Department of Marine Resources further reminds the general populace that only those vessels owned by Bahamian citizens that are resident within the country can legally engage in commercial ﬁshing exercises.
The cooperation of all persons engaged in ﬁshing is requested regarding safeguarding the sustainability of our resources.
© Copyright 2021 by thebahamasweekly.com -