Nassau, Bahamas - Eight former students of University of The Bahamas (UB) who are luminaries in the public and private sectors as well as social change agents will be honoured, with two of them inducted into the UB Hall of Fame, on 8th November 2018 at the Grand Hyatt Resort at Baha Mar.
UB alumni are critical constituents in the university-building that continues to happen and the realization of the institution’s mission.
Personifying leadership and excellence, the alumni honourees are:
Hall of Fame
1. Mr. Delton Bain Jr., Class of ’78 – Head Pharmacist, Doc’s Pharmacy
2. Ms. Vernelle Carey, Class of ’78 – Educator, Every Child Counts, Marsh Harbour Abaco
1. Mr. Jeffrey M. Walcott, Class of ’88 – President & CEO, Cell Designs Bahamas Ltd.
2. Dr. Ian G. Strachan, Class of ’88 – Vice President, University of The Bahamas North
1. Mr. Darvin Toussaint, Class of ’98 – Director of Campus Life, University of The Bahamas
2. Mr. Marcus Laing, Class of ’98 – CEO, TDG Architects
1. Mr. Matthew Wildgoose Jr., Class of 2008 – Artist & Actor
2. Mrs. Anastarcia Huyler-Palacious, Class of 2008 – Media & PR Consultant/TV Personality
“These honourees are a testament to the high caliber of graduates that have matriculated through UB over the past 40 years,” said Director of Alumni Affairs Mr. Elvardo Thompson. “It is important for UB to celebrate its former students in this way to publicly honor and recognize the outstanding achievements that they have made in their community and professions.”
They will receive a signature award as a commemorative keepsake of how important they are to their alma mater, as well as to the wider Bahamas and the world.
“Through our wide reaching Alumni network we are engaging our alumni in the life of this institution. From their representation on the Board of Trustees to being commencement speakers along with participating in lecture series, special events and Homecoming we have been engaging our alumni,” Mr. Thompson added.
Chartered on 10th November 2016, the institution has an alumni community of more than 18,000 persons. Graduates of the former College of The Bahamas (COB) and the antecedent institutions which were amalgamated to form COB - The Bahamas Teachers’ College, San Salvador Teachers’ College, C. R. Walker Technical College and the sixth form programme of The Government High School – as well as the Bahamas Hotel Training College are UB alumni. The alumni awards celebrations will coincide with UB Homecoming 2018 and UB charter anniversary activities.
Tickets for the Alumni Awards are on sale at UB’s Chapter One bookstore. The event is among the signature traditions that UB has been developing to deepen connections with the institution whose mission is directly tied to national development.