||Last Updated: Sep 4, 2018 - 4:14:31 PM
Abaco, Bahamas: Due to a significant growth in tourism arrival numbers, the number of resorts and restaurants in the Abacos which are normally closed during the off-season has drastically decreased.
According to Wynsome Ferguson, Manager of the Abaco Tourist Office, all hotels in Marsh Harbour and Hope Town will remain open during the period of August – November, which is typically off-season on the island.
“Hotel closures for the fall in Abaco are at a minimal this year. The hotels in Hope Town and Marsh Harbour will remain open and this is because Abaco has been fortunate enough to not have been impacted by any major hurricanes in the past four to five years. Also, over the past several years, we have seen a significant growth in our tourism arrival numbers which has resulted in a continuous booming tourism season for hoteliers and industry partners on the island,” Ferguson said.
Businesses and hotels alike normally close at the end of August until December but some restaurants are re-opening as late as December.
Silver Airways has also announced the suspension of flights into Treasure Cay International Airport, from September 3 until mid-November.
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism and Aviation (BMOTA) recently reported that The Bahamas experienced significant increase in foreign air arrivals which is up 2.8 per cent.
According to the Minister of Tourism and Aviation, Hon. Dionisio D’Aguilar the country is excited that travelers continue to flock to its shores.
“We are pleased with the recent results and we anticipate a continued upward trend that will positively reflect the tremendous effort we place into our marketing program. The Bahamas is a magnificent place to visit and we’re happy to see that travelers are still choosing our home as their destination of choice,” he said.
Following is a list of hotels, restaurants and other businesses that are closing for the off-season.
- The Delphi Club – Closed from October until July
- Bahama Beach Club – Closed from September 1 – October 31
- Treasure Sands Club – Closed from September 24 – October 21
Green Turtle Cay
- Bluff House – Closed from September 4 – October 26
- Green Turtle Club – Closed from August 19 – October 26
- Harvey’s Island Grill – Closed from September 1 – October 31
- Leeward Yacht Club – Closed from September 17 – September 25
- Pineapples Bar & Grill – Closed from beginning of September – Third week of November
- The Wrecking Tree – Closed from the third week of August – Ending of November
- Capt’ Jacks – Closed from August 3 – October 9
- Hope Town Coffee House – Closed from August 4 – November 5
- Wine Down Sip-Sip – Closed from August 15 – October 31
- Pete’s Pub – Closed from August 19 – November 1
- Dock & Dine – Closed for September and October
- MOW Heritage Center and Coffee Shop – Closed from September 1 – November 1
- Back 2 Da Island – Closed from December 22 – January 7
- Jakes Restaurant – Closed end of August – September 17
- Jib Room – Closed from mid-August – Mid-November
- Wally’s – Closed from end of August – End of November
Closing and re-opening dates are subject to change.
© Copyright 2018 by thebahamasweekly.com
Top of Page