[xml][/xml]
The Bahamas Weekly Facebook The Bahamas Weekly Twitter
News : Bahamas Information Services Updates Last Updated: Jun 5, 2020 - 9:15:05 PM


COVID-19 Task Force Coordinator announced ‘Bending of the Curve’
By Llonella Gilbert
Jun 5, 2020 - 8:00:19 PM

Email this article
 Mobile friendly page
Nassau, Bahamas - Dr. Merceline Dahl-Regis, COVID-19 Task Force Coordinator, Special Adviser to the Prime Minister announced Thursday (June 4, 2020) the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 totalled 102.  “Of that number, 80 are in New Providence, eight in Grand Bahama, 13 in Bimini, and one in Cat Cay,” she explained during the COVID-19 Update Press Conference at the Office of The Prime Minister.

She noted that there were no new cases reported and the number of recovered cases was 55. Active cases numbered 36. Deaths remained at 11. Hospitalised cases were two. Dr. Dahl-Regis stated that a total of 2142 tests had been completed.

“During this epidemiological period – week 22 to 23 – we had few confirmed cases with periods with no cases which has resulted in the bending of the curve; April 24th was the last reported death.”

She explained that in Grand Bahama, there had been 29 days since the last confirmed case of COVID-19 was recorded on that island. In Bimini, it had been 18 days since the last confirmed case.

“We are making significant progress based on the number of new confirmed cases, there have been no COVID-19 related deaths for five weeks, the number of recovered cases has increased, the decrease in COVID-19 hospital admissions and the decrease in the number of ICU admissions.”

Dr. Dahl-Regis explained that as of Monday, the 1st of June at 5a.m., Bimini completed two weeks of quarantine and health officials were awaiting the results of re-swabbing of 18 residents.

“The results are pending. This lockdown was implemented to assist in the containment and control the community spread of COVID-19. We have received no reports of new or suspect cases during the quarantine period and we are optimistic that the laboratory results will show a large number of recovered cases.”

She said to date, close to 500 individuals have returned on five flights from Fort Lauderdale to New Providence and Grand Bahama.

The Task Force Coordinator said individuals were tested beforehand and were negative; Individuals who returned were evaluated by the health team and entered quarantine; some were able to safely quarantine at home and others in a government quarantine facility; to date, none of the residents who returned home exhibited symptoms or tested positive for COVID-19.

She stated that it is anticipated that additional exercises will occur to bring more residents home. The Health team continues to enrol individuals who require quarantine verification using the Hubbcat geometric fencing app.

Dr. Dahl-Regis said despite increasing technology challenges particularly with those over the age of 65, there is greater enrolment in the program. We are pleased to report that we have received a number of boundary alerts for those who break quarantine.

“We will continue to have heightened surveillance in all islands and will do PCR testing for suspect cases of COVID19 and all contacts of confirmed cases.

She said, “As we prepare to reopen the Government for commercial activity we anticipate more testing and the need for increased surveillance capacities to identify COVID 19 cases.”

Bookmark and Share




© Copyright 2020 by thebahamasweekly.com

Top of Page

Receive our Top Stories



Preview | Powered by CommandBlast

Bahamas Information Services Updates
Latest Headlines
Prime Minister Minnis Congratulates Son at Medical School Graduation
Office of the Prime Minister on the resumption of tourism attractions, excursions and tours on the Family Islands
DPM Turnquest Gives Words of Encouragement at Independence Ceremonies in Grand Bahama
Ministry of Health COVID-19 Dashboard - 4th July, 2020
Update #86 - Mexican Consruction Workers Landed in The Bahamas