The Bahamas Weekly Facebook The Bahamas Weekly Twitter
News : Bahamas Information Services Updates Last Updated: Jan 11, 2017 - 1:07:53 PM

Public Notice: Voter Registration Drive in San Salvador
Jan 11, 2017 - 12:50:48 PM

Email this article
 Mobile friendly page
Department of Local Government




Registration of Voters for the upcoming 2017 General Election continues daily in the San Salvador District of the Cat Island, Rum Cay and San Salvador Constituency, at the Administrator’s Office, Cockburn Town, from 9:30am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday, and throughout the District as follows:

Thursday, 12 January 2017

Administrator’s Office, Rum Cay

9:30pm to 2:00pm

Every Monday & Friday, from 9 Jan. 2017

Idell Jones Hall, Cockburn Town

5:30pm to 7:30pm

Every Wednesday, from 11 Jan. 2017

San Salvador High School, United Estates

5:30pm to 7:30pm

Requirements to Register as a Voter

To be entitled to be registered as a voter, a person must be:

(a)      A citizen of The Bahamas of full age (i.e. 18 years or older), and not subject to any legal incapacity; and

(b)      Must have been, during the entire period of three (3) months preceding that day, ordinarily resident in premises in that constituency.

Documentary Requirements

Pursuant to Section 20(1)(a)(i), persons who had formerly been registered, but who are not on the current Register, are required to bring their 2012 Voter’s Card in order to be registered. However, persons may be required to produce reasonable evidence, whether documentary or otherwise, as the Revising Officer shall consider necessary, to prove that they are qualified to be registered.

All persons registering for the first time are required under Section 19(1)(a)(ii) of the Parliamentary Elections Act to produce for the Revising Officer a Bahamian Passport OR a Birth Certificate (or a Baptismal Certificate in lieu thereof). Note that the Revising Officer may also require other evidence, documentary or otherwise, to prove that the applicant is qualified to be registered as a voter. For example, if the applicant is relying on a Birth Certificate, the Revising Officer may require evidence of the citizenship and birth of either or both parents, and applicants relying on Birth Certificates issued after 10 July 1973, should produce either their mother’s Bahamian Passport OR Birth Certificate.


A registered voter who has moved to a new place of residence over the past three (3) months ought to provide some documentary evidence of his/her change of address in order to apply for a transfer to the new address. Applications for transfers shall be made to the Office of the Parliamentary Commissioner on Farrington Road, at the Parliamentary Registration Department in the NIB Building in Freeport, and at the Office of the District Administrator in each Family Island.

An applicant, who only possesses an Affidavit of birth, ought to apply to the Passport Office for his/her Bahamian Passport as evidence (proof) of Bahamian citizenship.

Gilbert Kemp Administrator, Rum Cay & San Salvador District 9 January 2017

Bookmark and Share

© Copyright 2017 by thebahamasweekly.com

Top of Page

Receive our Top Stories

Preview | Powered by CommandBlast

Bahamas Information Services Updates
Latest Headlines
Belgian Ambassador presents letters to Bahamas Ministry of Foreign Affairs
International Education Award builds connections between The Bahamas & Kamloops, British Columbia
Minister Mitchell Addresses the Topic, "So You Want to be a Foreign Minister"
Mrs. Christie Presented with Fly Fishing Permit
Prime Minister Christie's remarks at MSC Cruise Port Ground Breaking Ceremony at Ocean Cay
Public Service and UB Sign MOU for Training and Assessment
Learning about Majority Rule through walking classroom
Minister Darville Says Crime is Down in Grand Bahama
United Methodist Mission Volunteers call on Bahamas Governor General
DPM Davis presented with Sailing Club floating trophy
MSC Breaks Ground on Cruise Port with a Conservation Aspect
Hon. Fred Mitchell MP on the Passing of Rev. Wilbur Outten
Bahamasair Makes Inaugural Flight to Haiti
Ambassador McWeeney attends Diplomatic Corps gathering with Pope Francis at The Vatican
Bishop Boyd: Do Justice, Love Kindness and Walk Humbly
Greenslade Reports 26 Percent Decrease in Overall Crime - New Police Initiatives, Public Cooperation Cited as Reasons
The Bahamas Legal Year Opens
PM Christie: The Legacy of January 10th Belongs to All Bahamians
Newry addresses 'The Dream of '67' at UB 50th Anniversary of Majority Rule Symposium
Legal Year Opens in Grand Bahama Island
Bahamas Foreign Affairs & Immigration on USA's Wet Foot / Dry Foot Policy coming to an end
50 Years of Majority Rule Celebrated in a People’s March, Speeches, Culture & Entertainment
Darville says Grand Bahama economic growth will take a combined effort of key institutions
Oakwood University Calls on Bahamas Governor General
Governor General visits Bahamian centenarian Mrs. Irene McQuay-Smith
The Bahamas Reaches 'Landmark and Historic' Airspace Agreement says PM Christie
Dame Marguerite Laid Wreath at Graveside of Sir Lynden on the 50th Anniversary of Majority Rule
Drake University Faculty and Students call on Bahamas Governor General
Public Notice: Voter Registration Drive in San Salvador
Photos of 50th Anniversary of Majority Rule March
Royal Bahamas Police Force annual parade and church service
$250,000 Worth of Hurricane Relief Supplies Donated to The Bahamas
Darville urges Grand Bahamians to join historic Majority Rule celebrations in the capital
Mrs. Irene McQuay Smith celebrates her 100th birthday
Healthcare Partnership to Advance Bahamas Pediatric Research
Visa waiver agreement between The Bahamas and UAE
Hon. Glenys Hanna-Martin on women being turned away when registering to vote
Bahamas Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Ft Lauderdale Airport Shooting
The Bahamas Regulates Fly Fishing Industry
Junkanoo and Cultural Tourism must grow says Culture Minister