The I.B.P.O. of ELKS is more than 106 years old, and is a predominantly black fraternal organization whose primary objective has always been to assist with the education of our youth. The Elks’ Lodges and Temples of the Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World (I.B.P.O. Elks of the W.) will sponsor their 83rd Annual Local Oratorical Contest this April 6th 2008
The Elks’ Oratorical Contest is for any high school student
IN GRADE TWELVE (12) who wishes to participate by performing these three simple steps:
1. The student must submit an application and prepare a speech that should not exceed 10 minutes and it MUST be memorized.
2. The speech content may cover, but is not limited to, historical or contemporary issues concerning The Bahamas or Black America.
3. The content must be original and should exemplify evidence of research of the speech subject matter.
The winner of The Bahamas Local Oratorical Contest will receive
trophy and/or cash prizes
(If applicable) and the opportunity to advance to the next level of competition to win an Elks’ Scholarship:
1. The Bahamas Contest Winner will receive a $2,500.00 Elks’ Scholarship.
2. The International Contest Winner will receive an additional $7,500.00 Elks’ Scholarship creating the -
Grand Sum Total of $10,000.00 Elks’ Scholarship
The winner of The Bahamas contest MUST enter the International contest
representing The Bahamas in the USA (August 2nd – 9th 2008 in Las Vegas)
in order to receive their winning prize - The scholarship.
Currently, the Elks’ Department of Education has each year supported more than 115 students throughout The Bahamas and U.S.A who have received Elks Scholarships to improve their plot in life. We would be delighted to have other contestants from your school.
Please encourage all interested, eligible, young men and women from your school to apply.
This is a great opportunity for a young person to meet other people and to share their knowledge and ideas.
We request that you publish and announce this Oratorical Contest information in your school assemblies, bulletins and publications.
All applications must be completed and submitted to Ms. Angela Poitier, coordinator by FEBRUARY 28TH 2008.
The contest will be held on
SUNDAY, APRIL 6TH 2008 at 5:00p.m at the Hilton Hotel, Downtown during a special Education Department Cocktail Reception and Oratorical Contest. Tickets for this event are $25.00 Adults and $15.00 children and will aide the Department’s travel expenses for the winner to represent The Bahamas in the United States.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation and support.
It is sincerely appreciated.