||Last Updated: Jul 8, 2017 - 1:33:14 AM
Isabel Gabriela Donaldson and Donte Alexander Armbrister
The Bahamas Lawn Tennis Association wishes to announce its tennis athletes for the upcoming Commonwealth Youth Games to be held July 18 – 23, 2017.
As only one male and one female player per nation will be represented at the 17th Edition Commonwealth Youth Games being held in The Bahamas, the No. 1 ranked player in both the Boys’ and Girls’ 18U Divisions will represent The Bahamas.
Chosen were male athlete, Donte Alexander Armbrister, and female athlete Isabel Gabriela Donaldson
More information on each tennis player:
MALE TENNIS ATHLETE – DONTE ALEXANDER ARMBRISTER
Donte Armbrister, an 11th grader at Temple Christian High is ranked No. 1 in the nation in both the Boys’ 16s and 18s Divisions.
He has represented The Bahamas on 13 national teams to date, travelling to places such as: Puerto Rico, Jamaica, El Salvador, Mexico and Dominican Republic. Donte has also travelled on the International Tennis Federation (ITF) Junior Circuit (18U) to tournaments in Jamaica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Barbados, Trinidad, and U.S.A. At 15, Donte is currently ranked 1,247 on the ITF Junior Circuit (18U).
Donte’s outstanding accomplishments to date include:
- 18 junior national titles; 5 finalists and 5 semifinalist positions at national tournaments;
- Donte served on the 2-member 12U national team that won a gold medal at the ITF Caribbean
- Team Championship in Jamaica (2013);
- USTA Champion at Extreme Academy in Boys’ 12U Miami, Florida – June 2013;
- Donte served on the Boys’ 3-member national team and placed semifinalist at World Junior
- Tennis Competition in Dominican Republic (March 2015). He was the only Bahamian to win all of his singles matches;
- Donte was Finalist at JITIC 14U Boys’ event (a top junior tournament of the International Tennis Federation). Donte placed 2nd out of 41 boys from 16 participating nations in the Caribbean and Central American regions.
- Donte was ranked 2nd in Boys’ 14U Division, in the region at the end of December 2015
- Donte was the Doubles Winner at St. Vincent & The Grenadines ITF Jr. Tournament in August 2016
- USTA Champion in Boys’ 16U at Next Level Academy K-Town - Miami, Florida – March 2017
Donte, a left-handed player who stands at 5’ 8”wishes to have his dream realized of becoming the Bahamas’ next top world class Tennis Professional. He strives to live by the credo: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)
FEMALE TENNIS ATHLETE - ISABEL GABRIELA DONALDSON
Isabel Gabriela Donaldson, 18 is the No. 1 ranked player in the Girls’ 18 and under Division. “Gabby” as she is fondly called has been playing tennis for many years. She has been the No. 2 seed in the Girls 16U and 18U for several years and has emerged as a top contender.
February 2015, Gabby won the Girls’18 and under singles event at Subway Junior Tennis Tournament in Freeport, Grand Bahama. She also emerged runner-up in the RBC/FINCO Clay Court Championships and Junior Nationals for Girls’ 16s and 18s in 2015.
June 2015, Gabby won the EKTA Girls’16s in Coconut Creek, Florida and was a finalist in the Girls’18s in the Fountain Lake Tennis Tournament, which was also held in Florida.
Gabriela represented The Bahamas on several national teams, including the World Junior Tennis Competition, Jr. Fed Cup, and JITIC, held in El Salvador and the Dominican Republic. These tournaments showcase the top players in the Caribbean and Central American regions.
2015 Jr. Nationals, Gabriela won the Girls’18U doubles title by partnering with Shay’Tonya Missick (Freeport). The team was very explosive and played some great tennis. In December 2015, Gabriela emerged finalist at the Giorgio Baldacci Open Tennis Challenge. She also won the RBC/FINCO Clay Court Junior Tennis Classic title in the Girls’ 18s Division in April of 2015. Gabriela represented The Bahamas at Fed Cup in 2016. She also did a summer tour last year and participated in St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Tobago ITF Jr. National Tournaments. Gabriela has recently played some USTA tournaments in Florida for quality match play and to improve her game. She is currently ranked 1,513 on the ITF Junior Circuit (18U).
© Copyright 2017 by thebahamasweekly.com
Top of Page