Nassau, Bahamas - Police are investigating a shooting incident on New Providence, Tuesday 16th July, 2019, which resulted in an adult male being shot and a firearm recovered.
According to reports, shortly before 8:00pm police officers were on patrol in the south eastern part of New Providence, when they observed two men in a blue Honda vehicle. The men upon seeing the officers, began acting in a suspicious manner and the driver sped off. The officers perused the vehicle, which came to a stop in Freeman Sub-division. The male passenger exited the vehicle armed with a firearm and discharged it in the direction of the officers. The officers being in fear for their lives, fired their service weapons in the direction of the man, injuring him. Paramedics transported the injured man to hospital where he is presently listed in critical condition. No one else was injured during this incident. A 9 millimeter pistol and a quantity of dangerous drugs were recovered on scene.
Investigations are ongoing.
PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS -
- Think about your safety before you leave home; make sure someone
knows where you are going, who you are with and what time you are likely
- Fully charge your mobile phone and keep it with you so you can keep
in contact with your friends and family and ring police should you need
- Walking home in the dark is never a good idea, but if you
absolutely must, try to walk with a friend, keep no busy, well-lit roads
even if it means taking a longer route.
- If you think someone is following you, go to the nearest place
where there are people and ask for help, or, if you can't find somewhere
or you are worried about someone's behaviour towards you in any way,
- Don't be afraid about being wrong or over-reacting; the Police
would rather be called only to find that all is well, than be dealing
with an incident because someone was afraid of calling them.
- Always try to be aware of what and who is around you and avoid putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.
- And remember, it might not be you that is in danger - if you see
anything you think is suspicious call the police - better safe than
POLICE ARE APPEALING TO ANYONE WITH INFORMATION REGARDING THIS OR ANY
CRIME, NO MATTER HOW SMALL OR INSIGNIFICANT (THE TIP) MAY SEEM, TO
ANONYMOUSLY CALL POLICE AT 919 OR CRIME STOPPERS AT 328-TIPS (8477) (NEW
PROVIDENCE) OR 1-242-300-8477 (FAMILY ISLANDS)